Collection and Use of Personal Information
DownloadSafer may request that you provide certain personal information in order to use our services or engage in activities through the DownloadSafer Sites. By “personal information” we mean any information that identifies you as an individual. This includes: your name, your postal address, your e-mail address, and some on-line identifiers. We collect this information carry out the services that you have asked from us and to help improve our products and services. We provide more detail below on what personal information we collect and why.
- Customer Products and Support Details:
When you purchase any DownloadSafer software products or services, we collect certain personal information about you and the products that you have purchased, including:
- Your name
- Your e-mail address, and
- Your product License number
We will use this information to send you user information about the specific DownloadSafer software products and services that you hold a license for, including:
- Notices when the license is about to expire and
- Software update information.
If you contact us for product support, we will maintain account notes on your product license number, hardware and the type of problems that you are experiencing. This helps us to track issues that you are experiencing and to further enhance our support for you.
Please note that certain support services offered through the DownloadSafer Sites are not provided by DownloadSafer, but by DownloadSafer recommended support service providers. These support service providers can only collect and process your personal information to carry out the services we have asked them to do. They are required to meet both legal and industry standards to ensure that your data is protected. For more information about our service providers and partners with whom we share information, please see our section below on Sharing Personal Information With Other Companies.
- User Account and Contact Information:
If you choose to participate in our online forums, centers and communities, or if you request online support for any DownloadSafer software products, we will ask you to create a user account with us.
For each user account, we maintain the following information:
- Your name
- Your account name and password
- Your e-mail address, and
- Your country of residence.
This helps us to:
- Provide you services and support that relate to your account with us,
- Send password reminders at your request,
- Oversee our on-line community offerings, and
- Alert you of events relating to your participation in the relevant forum, center or community.
- Name and E-mail Address:
If you have subscribed to DownloadSafer newsletters, press releases and/or special offers, or if you enroll in the DownloadSafer referral program, DownloadSafer will ask you to provide:
- Your name
- Your e-mail address
For the referral program, the information we maintain will be used for tracking and communicating back to you the completion status of your referrals.
- Payment Information:
If you submit an on-line order for any DownloadSafer software products or services through an DownloadSafer online store, you will be asked to provide certain personal information to complete the purchase. This includes:
- Your name
- Your Postal Address
- Your e-mail, and
- Your credit card details
- Job Applicants:
When you apply for a job with DownloadSafer, we will ask you to provide us some basic information, including your name, email address and phone number. Additional information that you provide us is voluntary. We will not ask you and we will not collect from you sensitive information such as about your religion, health, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. And the information that you provide us will be used to communicate with you, manage our hiring process, and to comply with laws and regulations. If you are later hired, the information may be used for employment and corporate management purposes.
- URLs of Flagged Websites:
DownloadSafer maintains a list of urls that we have flagged as potentially suspicious. We do this to help support our products and protect our users.
- Data Trackers, Including Cookies and Web Beacons : “Cookies” are minor text files that are placed in your computer’s browser and store your preferences.
Cookies do not provide DownloadSafer with any personal information, however, if you provide DownloadSafer with personal information through the DownloadSafer Sites or elsewhere, that information may be linked to the data stored in the cookie.
- Sensitive Personal Information:
- Information That Does No Longer Identifies You:
Through some of the DownloadSafer Sites and products, we collect certain data in order to improve our Sites and offerings, including for research and analysis and to protect our users. We make sure, however, that the data we collect keeps you anonymous and cannot be used to identify you. Some examples are:
- Statistical Information. DownloadSafer may share with third parties aggregate statistical information, i.e. information that does not identify you as an individual, but refers to certain DownloadSafer users as a whole or as a group. Examples of such aggregate statistical information include the number of users that downloaded a specific product or number of users that clicked on a particular advertisement.
- For some of the DownloadSafer products, we collect other information that does not identify you. Mentioned below in detail
- DownloadSafer Secure Search. If you use DownloadSafer Secure Search, a Chrome extension, we collect certain data at installation to help improve the product and your experience. This includes, geolocation, campaign tags, date and preferred search engine.
- DownloadSafer Web Companion. When you install DownloadSafer Web Companion, we ask if you would like to share some data that helps us to improve detection for potentially unwanted programs and otherwise improve our products and protect our users. It includes, the display name and version, publisher, install location and source.
- DownloadSafer ad block. When you install and when you use DownloadSafer ad block, we will collect the following information: install date; browser family, version, language and locale; ad block version and locale; IP address; update date; uninstall date; and feature state. We may also collect other data if certain features are enabled or if you agree to share data. But again, this data does not trace back to you.
- DownloadSafer H2O. When you install DownloadSafer H2O, we collect and aggregate (meaning it combines with other people’s general data and it cannot identify you) certain data about the installation including: what program you are installing, the code of the country where you are located, the session ID, OS version, and installed anti-virus applications.
- DownloadSafer Download Companion. When you install and when you use DownloadSafer download companion, we will collect certain data to help improve the product and your experience. This includes, product version, install data, update date, uninstall date, host browser family and version, OS version and bits, install source, and total downloads.
Sharing Personal Information with Other Companies
- Sharing Information for Business Purposes:
From time to time, DownloadSafer needs to share some of your personal information with companies that help us to run our business. The information we provide them is limited. We share with them only what they need to perform the services they carry out for us. And they are required by agreement to keep any and all personal information we provide them strictly confidential. These service providers have no rights whatsoever to use any personal information we provide them in any way other than for the purpose for which send it to them. Accordingly, these service providers are not allowed to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes or to share with any other third parties. Further, the DownloadSafer service providers are required to meet both legal and industry standards to ensure that your data is protected.
These other companies include:
- Hosting service providers that help us run the DownloadSafer Sites;
- Customer support service providers that help us handle your support requests; and
- Marketing services providers that help us with our e-mail marketing campaigns, newsletters, press releases and/or special offers.
- Sharing Information in Case of Change in Ownership: DownloadSafer may need to share your information should there be a change in our company ownership.
- In the event that we sell DownloadSafer, Ltd. or the DownloadSafer Sites, we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If DownloadSafer or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, your personal data held by DownloadSafer will be one transferred. This includes a merger, acquisition, sale, bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, or other change of control.
- Sharing Information to Meet Legal Requirements:
DownloadSafer may be required by law to disclose or share your personal information. For instance,
- In order to comply with any legal obligation or legal request, such as a subpoena;
- To investigate and respond to third-party claims or allegations; or
- Other Reasons We May Share Information:
- For fraud detection and prevention. DownloadSafer may need to disclose or share your personal information to protect the rights, property, or safety of the DownloadSafer Sites, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- Statistical information. DownloadSafer may share with third parties aggregate statistical information. But this information does not identify you as an individual. It refers to certain DownloadSafer users combined. Examples of such aggregate statistical information include the number of users that downloaded a specific product or number of users that clicked on a particular advertisement.
- With your consent. We also may share information in other situations with your consent.
- Links to Other Sites: On the DownloadSafer Sites you will find various links to the web sites of certain DownloadSafer partners as well as offers for such partners’ products and services that direct you to such partners’ web sites. DownloadSafer is not responsible for the content, business practices or operations of such web sites. Please note that these partners have their own privacy policies. If you link to our partners’ websites from any of the DownloadSafer Sites, we encourage you to read their partners’ privacy policies before you submit any personal information on their sites. The presence of a link to DownloadSafer partners’ websites does not constitute or imply DownloadSafer’s endorsement, recommendation, or sponsorship of the content, goods, or services available through, or contained on, such partners’ websites.
- Public Information: Please note that any and all information, discussions, opinions, blogs, postings, ideas, feedback and other communications and materials of any kind that you post, upload, submit or otherwise make available within the various forums, centers and communities on the DownloadSafer Sites or elsewhere on the DownloadSafer Sites will be considered public information and will not in any way be treated as confidential information.
- Information Collected By Third Party Web Search Providers:
The web search services offered on the DownloadSafer web sites are provided by other companies: Codefuel and Microsoft. For information on their data collection, please visit their privacy statements.
Security of Personal Information
We take appropriate technical, physical, administrative and managerial procedures, and employ security measures and safeguards to protect personal information that is stored on our servers.
Where DownloadSafer has given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the DownloadSafer Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. If you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should notify DownloadSafer immediately.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use commercially reasonable and appropriate technical, physical, administrative and managerial procedures, security measures and safeguards to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our site.
How Long We Maintain Your Personal Information
DownloadSafer will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with the product and services you have requested and as needed to comply with our legal obligations and enforce our agreements.
Transfers of Personal Information To Different Countries
We primarily store information about our visitors, members, and customers in the Canada. However, we may transfer your personal information across national borders to other countries in compliance with applicable laws. For instance, as discussed under Third Party Cookies,” our analytics provider stores data in the United States. If you are a European resident, we transfer your data based European Commission-based Standard Contractual Clauses.
Your Ability to Access and Control Your Data
In order to keep your personal information accurate, DownloadSafer depends on you to amend your user account(s) to include updated contact details. You may update your user account by accessing it electronically through the DownloadSafer Sites.
You have certain rights to access and control your data under the law of some countries. This includes the right to:
If you wish to learn more about what personal information DownloadSafer maintains and/or to which third parties such personal Information has been provided, please contact us. DownloadSafer will make reasonable efforts to respond to your request within one (1) month.
If you are an E.U. resident and you have a dispute about how we are handling your personal information, you have the right to complain to a supervisory authority to enforce your rights. You can contact DownloadSafer’s lead supervisory at: [email protected]
Please note that if you request that DownloadSafer delete personal information relating to you, you may no longer be able to continue to pursue certain activities at the DownloadSafer Sites and/or to otherwise use the full functionality of the DownloadSafer Sites.
- Access the personal information that you provide us and that we maintain;
- Restrict processing while we review any concerns you may have over the accuracy of the personal information we maintain;
- Data processing based upon legitimate interests,
- Data processing for research or statistics,
- Direct marketing, and
- Decisions based exclusively on automated processing, such as profiling, so long as the decision does not impact our ability to enter or perform our contract services for you or is not based on your explicit consent;
- Withdraw your consent in instances where we must have your consent to contact you; and
Transfer, or port, your personal information that you provided us in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format.
7075 Place Robert Joncas,
Montreal, Quebec H4M 2Z5,
You may also contact our Data Protection Officer at: [email protected]
Miscellaneous Provisions for U.S. Law
- California Privacy Rights
We do not provide Your Personal Information to third parties for marketing purposes. However, if You are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits You to request, once a calendar year, information regarding the disclosure of Your Personal Information by DownloadSafer to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If applicable, this information would include the categories of Personal Information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2015 will receive information regarding 2014 sharing activities). To make such a request, please write us.
- Children’s Privacy
DownloadSafer further recognize the particular importance of protecting the privacy of children and DownloadSafer is committed to protecting children’s privacy on the Internet. DownloadSafer does not generally target children and does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of thirteen (13). If DownloadSafer would discover that a child under the age of thirteen (13) has provided Personal Information through the DownloadSafer Sites or if DownloadSafer is contacted by a verifiable parent or legal guardian about his or her child’s participation on the DownloadSafer Sites, DownloadSafer will delete the Personal Information about the child from DownloadSafer’s active user records.
Last updated: July 2018